Don't want to participate in something so multi-faceted but you'd love hands-on dirt work? Come join us at Ronald McDonald House on the same day for a day of yard work! Ask to speak to someone about "Weed and Feed."
Create a team & fight hunger for GROWINGGARDENS
Are you looking for a fun way to make a positive impact in the community? Consider becoming a Team Captain & form a garden building team for GROWINGGARDENS Dawn of the Bed! No prior garden experience necessary.
GROWINGGARDENS digs at the root of hunger in Portland by installing raised garden beds at the homes of low-income households. Three years of support including seeds, plants, tools, compost & worm bins and education from volunteer mentors and workshops assure the success of our Home Gardeners.
Dawn of the Bed is a day to build garden beds with the support of volunteer teams who will build the gardens and raise financial pledges for the cause.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Sign up with GROWINGGARDENS as a team captain.
- Attend an orientation Tuesday, February 21 - 6-7:30pm
- Recruit 4-8 friends, co-workers or family members to join your team.
- As a team raise $600 or more which covers the cost to build a garden & provide support to 1 low-income household. (A prize will be awarded to the team that raises the most money)
- Gather shovels, rakes, wheelbarrows and other tools for the day of the event.
- Build the garden on the Dawn of the Bed day- Saturday, May 5 - 10am-3pm.
- Celebrate with the other teams & GROWINGGARDENS staff at a post-garden building celebration.